Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Google Analytics & Tumblr
After signing up on Tumblr, you may want to consider installing Google Analytics on your blog in order to better track your site traffic. Tumblr provides excellent instructions for this process on its Using Google Analytics page.
Signing Up on Tumblr
Create your account to get started on Tumblr:
- Go to https://www.tumblr.com/register
- Type in your e-mail address, desired username and password => Sign Up
- Type in your age and check off the Terms of Service box => Next
- Type in the captcha code => Almost Done
- Select 5 topics/subtopics on the "What're you into?" page to get your dashboard populated
- You will receive an e-mail from Tumblr Support asking you to verify your email address
Questions about Signing Up on Tumblr
- Choose a clear and descriptive username. You want it to be easy for users to associate your blog name with your content.
- For example, a blog name such as "Kittens in the Stacks" would certainly be entertaining, but if your library collections are focused on chemical history, this name would more than likely be confusing ("Are they showing pictures of cats in chemistry books?") or misleading ("Where are the kittens?!")
- Tumblr will notify you if the username you have selected is already taken. After you have clicked the Sign Up button, a box will appear stating that someone else has already "claimed" that particular username. Tumblr will offer a list of available usernames that are closely related to your original choice.
- If are unhappy with your username, you can always change it later by clicking the person icon at the top of the Dashboard => Settings => Username (edit with pencil icon) => Save
- Important: Changing your username will change the URL to your blog and any previous links to your blog will be broken